Some of Fothergill's Buildings...

"There is always something to discover on most of his buildings. Go and look, and then go back and look again. Look for deep red brick, strings of stones or "blues", polychrome, timber framing and brick nogging. Look for tall chimneys, towers, turrets, oriel windows and fretted barge boards. Look for dormers, finials, castellations and balustrades. Above all look in particular for neat Gothic script, sometimes it is just a date, but often may been seen the proud, confident statement "Watson Fothergill archictect".
Ken Brand in "Get to Know Nottingham: Watson Fothergill"

Watson Fothergill was a prolific architect, designing over a hundred buildings during his working life. Below are just some of his buildings that survive today. It is intended to add to this list with further pictures and information over the coming months...

     

Baptist Church
Woodborough Road, St. Ann's, Nottingham

Fothergill built this distinctive church in 1893. At that time it was in the heart of a densely packed residential part of the city. The unusual octagonal tower, topped with a small saddle back roof and "bed-end" finials was designed to be seen above the rows of terraced houses and shops.

The church had a Sunday school with a separate entrance. Carved stones commemorate the "worthies" who founded the church.

The building is a lucky survivor of the wholesale destruction that accompanied the St. Ann's redevelopment scheme in the 1970s.

The building is now used as a Parkistani Community Centre.

 
     

Mortimer House,
Castle Road, Nottingham

Mortiner House, a row of shops and offices, was built in 1883 for Mr. Tate.

The roof line is extremely varied and complex as the building runs down the slope between Hounds Gate and round the corner into castle gate. A square tower dominates the top end, while a rounded turret caps the lower end.

The style is less Gothic and more Old English vernacular, or even a touch norther European - Fothergill was greatly influenced by Continental architecture, particularly the buildings of Germany.

 
     

Fothergill's Offices,
15-17 George Street, Nottingham

In 1893 Fothergill had to vacate his Clinton Street (Nottingham) offices as the railway was being extended into the heart of Nottingham and the land was needed for the approach to the new Victoria Station. He built his new offices nearby in George Street in a confident, flamboyant Gothic style.

Just below the first floor windows are four terra-cotta panels showing the building of classical, medieval and Elizabethan buildings - the last one possibly depicts the construction of Wollaton Hall.

The ground floor was designed to be a self-contained shop which Fothergill sub-let, providing an income to pay for his own offices on the upper two floors.

 
     

Nottingham & Notts. Bank,
Head Office,
Thurland Street, Nottingham

Built between 1877-1882, the bank's head offices were designed to give its customers a feeling of security and permanence.

The building is dominated by a central tower and has many wonderful carvings of animals, beasts and foliage. High up are three panels in Portland stone, depicting the principal industries of the region - mining, textiles & agriculture. The names of the towns where the bank had other branches are carved in stone along its frontage.

On the first floor of the bank was a large appartment for the manager and his family. It had its own entrance from the street, and the oriel window on the first floor was the window to the manager's library.

 
     

Nottingham Express Offices,
Upper Parliament Street, Nottingham

These are the newspaper offices, prining works, shops and offices for Messrs. Jevons and Renals, proprietors of the "Nottingham Express" newspaper. Fothergill built them in 1875-76, the corner entrance tower being inspired by the work of the architect Burges.

In keeping with the paper's Liberal leanings, the entrance is graced by carvings of the heads of three leading Liberal politicians of the day - Cobden, Gladstone & Bright.

The upper storey was added by Fothergill in 1898-99 to provide the paper with more office space. Graham Greene worked in this building in his youth as a "cub-reported".

 
     

Houses for the Misses Woods,
No.5 Castle Bank & No.7 Lenton Road, The Park, Nottingham

Two of Fothergill's earliest private houses were built on the edge of the Park Estate for the two Wood sisters.

They share many features with his own house - pillar mullions to the windows, star shapes in the brickwork. Although early works 1872-73, the already show elements of style which were to reappear so often in his later buildings - tall ornate chimneys, turrets and towers, windows and doors set across corners and horizontal bandings of different coloured building materials.

 
     

Dr. Stewart's House,
Mansfield Rd./Mapperley Rd. Nottingham

In 1886 Fothergill Watson extended and partly rebuilt this house - St. Andrew's House - for Dr. Stewart. A terracotta plaque on the front of the house (now obscured by ivy) records the date and the Dr.'s monogram.

 
     

"Tenterden", Bulcote, Notts.

A private house built for Mr. Thomas Walter Marshall who worked at "Snook & Co's." - linen merchants, warehousemen & clothing manufacturers - in Nottingham City.

Built in 1893, the house has a turret over the main entrance, a half-hipped tower at the back, and a crenellated tower on the side.

 
     

"Walton House",
No. 39 Newcastle Drive, Nott'm
.

This house stands on a very difficult, but imposing plot in the Park. The corner site falls sharply away, but Fothergill's design makes full use of the natural shape of the site.

The square capped, half-timbered tower is typical of his later Old English style.

 
     

Queen’s Chambers ( 1897 ),
Long Row/Queens Street, Nottingham

These shops and office overlook the Market Square, standing on the corner of Queen's Street.

Built at the time of Queen Victoria’s Jubilee, there is a small rather unflattering stone carving of the queen’s face decorating this building!

 

Some other notable Fothergill buildings...
  • No's 409 & 411 Mansfield Rd., Nottingham - pair of semi-detached villas
  • No. 413-419 Mansfield Rd., Nottingham (1906) - terrace of four houses
  • "Rose of England” (1899 ), Mansfield Road, Nottingham - pub
  • Milibie House ( 1889 ), Pilcher gate Nottingham - warehouse
  • Cuckson, Haseldine & Manderfield Warehouse ( 1897 ), Stoney Street/Barker Gate, Nottingham - warehouse
  • Old Jessop’s Building ( 1895 ), King Street, Nottingham - department store (now shops)
  • Banks in Loughborough (1886), Newark (1887), Long Eaton (1899) and Carrington St., Nottingham (1900)
  • Norris Ladies Homes (1893) - alms houses on Berridge Road, Notingham
  • Jessops Departmnet Store - King Street, Nottingham (1895)
Further afield: Fothergill built a Coffee Tavern for the Temperance Movement in Hucknall ( 1884 ) with a distinctive Fothergill turret with pointed conical roof, and another Institute & Coffee Tavern in 1886 for the Budworth Memorial Building Committee in Ongar, Essex.


And many, many more.......