Landmarks Gone, But Not Forgotten
Sadly, many of Fothergill’s works did not survive through the developments of the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. At a time when Gothic Victorian architecture was considered old fashioned and even vulgar, tasteless and ugly, his work was not greatly valued. The redevelopment and wholesale “modernisation and improvement” of Nottingham led to the destruction of many of his buildings at that time. Others were lost through fire, or have been altered beyond recognition.
Watson Fothergill’s own house on Mapperley Road, Nottingham, built 1871-72.
Fothergill was very proud of his home (which he extended several times) and filled it with paintings and other artworks as his wealth increased.
Sadly the house was demolished around 1968-69 and a modern block of appartments of no architectural merit was built to replace it.
The Nottingham Temperance Hall (later the Albert Hall), East Circus Street opened on the 26th September 1879.
Fothergill won the competition for the design in June 1873: “The design of Mr Fothergill Watson, architect, has been chosen in competition for the new Temperance Hall, Derby Road. The adjudication was made by Mr Waterhouse of London. The hall will provide sittings for 2,500 people and the estimated cost is £8,000.”
Fothergill saw the winning of this prestigious competition as a great step forward in his career.
Sadly the building was destroyed by fire on the 22nd April 1906.
Congregational Church, Westgate, Mansfield
Built 1877 – 79
Built by Mr George Parsons to seat 600, at a cost of £4,500 (probably equivalent to around £3m in 2022).
The church finally closed in October 1981 and was demolished shortly afterwards.
St Nicholas’ Rectory, Castle Gate, Nottingham – 1886
One of several architectural losses caused by the decision to cut Maid Marion Way across the medieval street pattern in the 1960s.
Photo c. 1950
Nottingham & Notts. Bank
St Ann’s Well Road/ Alfred Street Central, Nottingham – 1900
One of several branch bank buildings designed by Fothergill for this banking company.
The bank was demolished as part of the St Ann’s area “redevelopment” in the early 1970s
The Black Boy Inn
Long Row, Nottingham
Fothergill rebuilt the inn that stood on this site for the Brunt’s Charity in 1887. He then further extended the building in 1897, again his clients were the Trustees of the charity. The building had a massive central tower flanked by timbered gables. Along the front ran a Bavarian style balcony with wooden balustrades.
Its demolition in 1970 was one of greatest architectural losses of Nottingham city centre. The Long Row “Primark” stands in its place – a bland store of very little architectural merit.